Sunday, January 31, 2010

Albright-Knox Gallery artworks

The Following Artworks Made an Impression/Impact on me, because...

1.The Untitled,2007 work of Tara Donavan constructed out of mylar and glue impacted me on the way details on something such as an everyday object can be conveyed to mimick nature or an action in a unique way such as in clusters and in large volumes like Donavan uses. This reminds me to pay attention to what details from bigger ideas can be used for teaching.

2. Richard Tutle's series of Loose Leaf Notebook Drawings, made of watercolor inspired me because of the surface he choses to paint on. Such a simplistic surface such as thin paper used with watercolor seemed odd at first because of how the paper would curl if too much water was added, but then I liked the way the loose leaf's lines acted as part of the entire composition. This inspired me as a way to use loose leaf with children.

3. Kill Yourself created by Nancy Dwyer made an impact on me because the work contains written words that act as a way to evoke meaning, but the way the words are portrayed by the artist leaves room for mixed messages. This reminded me as a play on words I like how it makes the viewer think about the content being presented.

4. The Alphabet exhibit by Fletcher Benson was inspiring on how geometry could be used repeatively to further examine letters by altering their original placement. I thought that these letter sculptures would serve as a great lesson on 3D and how a letter or number could be taken a part to appear differently once examined more closely.

5. Reckless, 1998 created by Polly Apfelbaum using synthetic velvet and fabric dye served as a great impact for me because of the placement of the different vibrant colors showing emotion like that of an abstract painting. I like the location of the work, arranged on the floor. The organic shapes layout for this piece as well as the inspiration ( a TV show) for such a work impacted me on how one can become inspired to create in untraditional spaces.

Which artworks do I feel a connection with? why?

1. Child's Blue Wall by Jim Dine I felt connected to because of the childlike theme created by the blue wall and stars, it reminded me of childhood and the concept of a switch within a wood panel which intrigued me.

2. Fossil, 1978 by Edda Renouf I felt connected to because of the shape of the paper, a square which was different after seeing so many rectangular pieces. I was connected to the piece because of the pastel media and the simplicity of the subject matter, but enthrawled with the use of one color and then texture within the organic shape.

3. On the Run, 1983 Koki Doktor created in graphite with use of a red oil stick made a connection for me through the movement of the spiratic lines within the paper and the figure that could easily be overlooked. I felt connected to the title and the piece because it reminded me of American society, always on the go and moving.

4. Convergence, by Jackson Pollack was also a strong connection piece for me because the amount of the emotionally charged expression displayed on such a large scale.

5. A Glimpse of Notre Dame in Late Afternoon by Matisse allowed me to make a connection to this piece because I recognized the church easily, after having visited France. This experience allowed me to try and conceptualize Matisse's interpretation through his stylist brushstrokes and use of colors to give meaning.

Which Artworks would I like to know more about, why?

1. Untitled, 1998 by Lydia Benglis was interesting to me because of the color choice and line use used for a watercolor piece. I would like to learn more about this piece and the other watercolor she created next to this one. I would like to know if the two paintings have any relationship to one another and if this is an emotion piece because of the use of scattered lines.

2.Attic Series, VIII, 1990 by Robert Mangold seemed to be creating pieces based on the use of differernt curved and straight lines in a gridded format. I would like to know if the use of cosine, sin, and tanget were to any inspiration in these series of works?

3. Untitled, 2008 silkscreen on MDF by Jorge Prado explores topography in means of everyday life in terms of architecture being transformed into sculptural forms and I would like to know the process this artist goes about doing to create each panel and what inspires the patterns painted on them.

4. Ingrid Calame #313 Drawing (Tracings from Buffalo) created with colored pencil on trace mylar interested me in what she used for inspiration for the AIR (Artist in Residence) I would like to know more about why she chose maps and what inspired her within the Buffalo area to create such a series.

5. Green Patio Door by Georgia O'Keeffe created in 1955 from oil on canvas looked unlike past works from this artist I have recognized. I would like to know what inspired the artist for this piece and brought the artist in this direction of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment